Did you know that artificial intelligence is impacting nearly every industry in our society today? In this article…medium.com
In this article we’ll discuss the other five different industries and how they are being changed, and in some cases even revolutionized, by artificial intelligence.
6. How is Artificial Intelligence Changing Journalism?
One of the potentially surprising areas where we can see artificial intelligence technologies today is in the field of journalism.
Although there are several ways that AI is used in this field, one of the most interesting is called natural language generation (NLG), which can transform pieces of data into readable articles.
One such program that is currently available is called Wordsmith.
AI tools also use machine learning to discover what makes various kinds of content popular and engaging, applying those observations back to their content generation process, which allows the tools to become more effective over time.
Reported news relies quite heavily upon the evaluation of facts and pieces of information, which are easy for AI tools to compile and analyze.
Also, these AI-powered writing tools can be customized in accordance with the target audience of an article, creating specialized content for local news or fans of specific sports teams, for example. More creative and complex styles of writing, like poetry and storytelling, will likely take longer for AI tools to learn.
This learning process will still be fairly quick, however. Already, one AI program from Japan has been able to put together a short novel, which came close to winning a literary prize.
The process of gathering information for news articles will become more efficient as AI tools become increasingly utilized in place of traditional investigative methods.
One example of this comes from MOGIA, which is an AI system developed by a startup in India.
This tool has been used to successfully predict the outcomes of the last three presidential elections in the U.S. Sanjiv Rai, founder of MOGIA, describes the advantages of this technology this way:
“Artificial intelligence has advantages over more traditional data analysis programs. Most algorithms can get influenced by a programmer’s or developer’s bias. MOGIA, on the other hand, develops its own rules at the policy layer and develops expert systems without discarding any data.”
As with other fields, the key in using journalistic AI tools responsibly is not to hand over every task that has traditionally been done by a human to a robot, but rather to delegate processes that once took a long time and a lot of effort to robotic partners.
Human oversight will always be essential to maintaining journalistic integrity and high quality creative content, but using AI tools properly can lead to better con- tent that is delivered faster and more effectively to target audiences.
7. How is Artificial Intelligence Improving Education?
The exponential growth of artificial intelligence technologies will bring educational experiences and opportunities to a whole new level.
Here are four examples of how AI will impact education that are also highlighted in my last book:
- Personalized Learning Platforms: Imagine a course in which 30 students begin to learn about the same topic online, but rather than having the same experience, the course could be personalized in 30 different ways, customized to the previous knowledge and skills of each student, making it a more enjoyable and successful learning experience for all.
Not only could each individual student study at their own pace, but instructors could also provide each student with personalized feedback, support and motivation. As a result, each of the 30 students would maximize their own learning experience attained from the course, and student dropout rates would decrease.
- Individualized Artificial Intelligence Tutors: One application of this kind of tutor would be a personalized AI teaching assistant created for a particular course, to perform tasks such as answering basic questions from students regarding a given topic (such as deadlines or assignment formats), helping to keep students on track with coursework as needed, or providing information about the university or institution.
In most cases, such AI teaching assistants could be run through voice recognition software, which would allow the students to speak directly to them. These AI tutors could also incorporate additional data, such as personality test results, to enable them to personalize responses to individual students.
- Personalized Games: Several recent studies have revealed that playing games can be one of the best ways to learn something new. Creating effective games, however, requires a lot of time and creativity, which can be challenging.
As we employ artificial intelligence tools, the generation of these kinds of games will become easier, allowing instructors to customize games to their students’ personalities and learning needs. With these highly entertaining games, students will benefit from increased motivation and enjoyment, leading to better learning.
• Crafting a More Enjoyable Learning Experience: Another potential benefit of AI tools in the field of education is their ability to keep students engaged in the coursework by making the experience more fun.
It is easy to see why students who have fun while they learn tend to remember the material better, making the learning experience more effective. In the future, learning platforms powered by AI will be able to incorporate interactive tools designed to continuously engage the learner, dispelling boredom and lack of motivation.
This is just a small taste of the ways that AI can potentially change the future of education. While not everything mentioned above is available on the market today, there are numerous companies currently developing tools to make these experiences possible soon. Additionally, AI will make it easier for teachers to do their jobs effectively.
For example, AI-powered tutors can provide teachers with feedback, sharing meaningful insights into the performance of individual students, thereby enabling teachers to improve their teaching methods and personalize coursework to better meet the needs of their students.
AI will also allow teachers to focus more on mentoring their students, inspiring them to learn, and less on menial or repetitive tasks such as grading papers and sending out reminders.
As learning platforms become more powerful and accessible through the help of AI tools, they will lower the costs of education, perhaps even bringing free educational opportunities to remote or underdeveloped areas.
When it comes to education, I would urge all universities and educational institutions to swiftly add to their curriculum’s more courses related to artificial intelligence, like machine learning and deep learning.
Since the workplace of the future will need many employees who understand the drastic changes created by AI and how we can adapt to them, artificial intelligence should be taught to everyone, not just computer science students.
At the same time, it is advisable to also teach “people skills” such as emotional intelligence, social intelligence and creativity, since the value of those skills will increase significantly in tomorrow’s workplace as well.
As Nelson Mandela once said, “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” With the help of AI, we are starting to see the benefits of those changes right now.
8. How is Artificial Intelligence Revolutionizing Agriculture?
Did you know that roughly 70 percent of the fresh water supply in the world is used for agriculture ?
How about the fact that giving up meat at meals would do more to save the environment than giving up your car ?
Agriculture is one the primary areas where AI can make a substantial impact on the sustainability of resources and our quality of life.
Although agriculture is one of the oldest practices in the world, AI can provide new opportunities that will change the way we farm forever. Here are some of the technologies that can make this possible:
• Agricultural Drones: These robotic, unmanned drones are able to monitor the growth and production of crops, while also identifying weeds and damaged plants.
Additionally, they can be deployed to analyze the potential of a given terrain using cameras and other sensors for precision farming. Already, the market for agricultural drones is on track to exceed $1 billion in value by the year 2024, according to Global Market Insights.
• Autonomous Tractors: Self-driving tractors can reduce the workload on farm staff, while collecting information about the conditions and moisture of the soil from attached sensors.
The data gathered and human labor spared by this kind of equipment can lead to better farming practices and lowered fuel and labor costs, offering a greater return on investment than traditional farming tools.
Since the technology is in its early stages, it will most likely require some form of human participation, although the end goal will be completely unmanned operation.
• Vertical Farms Powered by AI: Vertical farming is the term used to describe the growth of crops in a controlled environment, usually without soil or natural light. According to a number of experts, this type of farming will help to ease food shortages around the world.
Because of the delicacy of this kind of farming, artificial intelligence can be used to assist in its analysis and tracking.
Bowery Farming (http://www.boweryfarming.com) is one company that has developed its own system, which relies on computer monitoring and machine learning to track the growth of plants using sensors for light and nutrients.
This system can also recommend when to harvest certain plants, a task that would otherwise require careful human monitoring and intuition.
Additionally, the agricultural industry can benefit tremendously from the Internet of Things (IoT) and the development of new kinds of sensors, which will make it easier to perform duties that previously required human labor, such as monitoring the health and well-being of livestock.
As AI technologies continue to be deployed in agriculture, they will bring increasing returns on investment and offer many potential solutions to traditional agricultural problems, such as lack of space, droughts, or food shortages.
9. How is Artificial Intelligence Altering the World of Entertainment?
As with many other industries, AI technologies will soon play a large role in the entertainment business, taking over tasks like data collection, market research, and even content creation.
Here are just a few of the ways that AI is being introduced into the entertainment industry:
• Trailers Edited by AI: Already, IBM’s Watson has created the first movie trailer produced entirely by an AI-based resource. This was accomplished via the use of intelligent learning processes, combined with the analysis of over 100 trailers for similar films, enabling Watson to discover the components that come together to make a high-quality movie trailer.
These analyses included elements like points of view, audio, visuals, and emotional tones, as well as the movie in its entirety.
The film for which Watson created this trailer is called Morgan, and it would be difficult for most people to recognize that it was not produced by a professional human trailer editor.
You can watch a YouTube video that describes the trailer’s creation process here:
• Facial Recognition and Analysis: In addition to facial recognition tools being introduced at hotels, airports and retail stores, large entertainment companies are now able to use this technology to analyze the facial expressions of audience members to determine their reactions to certain kinds of viewing content.
This is a great way for studios to receive accurate audience feedback, which could help them to improve their bottom line in a business that is often expensive and risky.
Obviously, there are some directors who are so highly invested in maintaining creative control of their content that they would be resistant to the introduction of AI tools into their film-making process.
However, it will probably be the largest movie studios that will want to gain the market leverage offered by AI insights and will therefore adopt these technologies first.
In the end, the best potential for truly high-quality creative content will probably come from a mixture of AI tools and human talents.
- Pop Songs Produced by AI: In September of 2016, Sony announced that its research laboratory had created a system that was able to produce music based on certain algorithms.
To accomplish this, its AI assistant analyzed 13,000 samples of music and was then programmed to be able to create songs in different styles. With this technology, the potential for rapid content creation that fits into various music genres is endless.
Historically the entertainment field has been heavily associated with creativity, which might lead some to think that this is one industry that will not embrace AI tools as eagerly.
However, the race to gain market share and profits in many of the largest studios in Hollywood may prove to be a powerful incentive for the use of AI tools in the creative process. In the end, the best potential for truly high-quality creative content will probably come from a mixture of AI tools and human talents.
As AI tools are used in conjunction with other developing technologies, like virtual reality, there is even greater potential to create impactful and immersive entertainment experiences, leading some experts to fear that people will be left with fewer opportunities to interact with others and to develop crucial social skills.
For this reason, the best results will likely come from moderate and discerning use of these technologies.
10. How Will Artificial Intelligence Impact Governments?
Although some may not think of government as being an industry, it is an important field that will be strongly impacted by artificial intelligence technologies.
Here are two concrete examples of the ways that AI technologies can improve the processes and tasks of governments around the world:
• Public Safety and Security: Although it may never happen as portrayed in the 2002 futuristic movie Minority Report, starring Tom Cruise, some police departments have already begun using AI-based software to predict crime trends and form solutions in advance.
The nature of machine learning makes it a perfect technology for crime prediction and prevention. One such tool that provides customized reports of potential locations and windows of time in which crime is more likely to occur is known as PredPol.
This software analyzes various kinds of crimes, including the locations in which they are committed, along with the dates and times, to produce its predictive reports.
As of the time of this writing, there is no independent research available analyzing the effectiveness of the PredPol system, but if it can perform as described, it will be able to provide significant help for state and federal police forces.
However, one concern raised by experts against this type of technology is that it may lead to an increase in racial profiling and other forms of bias against minorities.
Another type of AI tool that can be beneficial for public safety and security is biometric facial recognition technology, which can help with tasks like border control, identifying criminals much more effectively than traditional passport monitoring.
These tools can also make screening processes faster, but may raise privacy concerns for travelers.
• Bureaucratic Efficiency: As we’ll see in other industries, government workers can save huge amounts of time by automating basic, repetitive tasks, like data entry and analysis.
According to a report from Deloitte entitled AI- Augmented Government, automation measures could save the federal government over 96.7 million man-hours and over $3.3 billion annually in the U.S. alone.
In many countries, red tape and documentation create huge challenges for governments, limiting their efficiency and effectiveness.
There are many other potential benefits that governments can discover by implementing AI solutions. The governments that adapt quickly and educate their citizens and institutions about these technologies will experience the most extensive benefits from them.
The governments of some countries, such as Finland, Canada, the UK and China, have assembled specific committees and research groups to provide consulting services and recommendations to those governments regarding the growth of AI and how their countries could benefit from it.
All countries’ governments should follow this example, being proactive and working together to research the best ways for society to adapt to, and benefit from, the rapid growth of artificial intelligence.
All Rights Reserved for Kelvin Rich PhD